Sunday, June 21, 2009

I wasn't speeding, honest!

OK, so I'm driving along in Ian's little VW, minding my own business and concentrating on shifting, clutching, braking, etc. I must have been concentrating a bit too hard on other things and watching the wrong part of the odometer because an officer in Fort Calhoun suddenly turned on his lights and motioned me over. As I pulled over, I promptly killed the car - which may have been to my advantage! "Do you know how fast you were going?" "I thought I was going no more than 30." "I clocked you going 41. This is a residential area and the speed limit is only 25 mph. You were the only one on the hill." "Sorry, officer. Honest, I really thought I was going the speed limit. I'm trying to learn to shift in this car, as you can tell because I killed it stopping." Bless the officer's heart, he took pity on me and let me go, but only after telling me we'll love France (he was in Germany for a couple years while his wife was stationed there), the French people are nicer than people say, and to drive carefully."

Oh yes, yes officer. I will! Thank you!

Needless to say, I went at least 5 mph UNDER the speed limit for the rest of my training drive...
-Julie

2 comments:

  1. So should I assume that my clutch is completely wrecked? ;)

    It's all good! Love the story and that's exactly what I would have done. In fact I've been pulled over 5 times in that car and ALWAYS talked my way out of it... nice work!

    Good luck in France and I'll be looking forward to blogs!

    Thanks again for all of your hospitality with Nature Valley and earlier this week. You are both wonderful!

    - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your clutch isn't wrecked ... too much! :)
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete