Thursday, June 11, 2009

Slow Twitch Dave

Preparation for this run at the tour route sure is different than the usual racing focus I have this time of year. The training intensity is down while the miles are up (I should have 380-400 miles for the week). Skipping all the local/regional races with my team to rack up the miles and avoid the risk of a crash has been quite out of character. I really miss the competition and the pre-race jitters, but this year the goals are different so I'm trying to keep the focus. I've been getting in generally 40-70 miles/night during the week and doing my longer rides on the weekend. I'm hoping that having the unique chance to ride without a full work week thrown into the mix will let me feel a bit more fresh. For now I'm feeling pretty worn down. I'm still struggling in my mind trying to comprehend the idea of doing so many successive 100+ mile days. It's uncharted territory for me to be sure. My daughter, Liz, told me tonight that on her recent birthday (23 on May 20th) she twittered Lance and told him all she wanted for her birthday was for him to post a message wishing me good luck in my quest to ride the TdF route. Needless to say he's been a little busy so I'm not expecting any good luck wishes from Mr. Armstrong, but it shows you just how special my daughter is! My good friend, Ian Gray, and his mates from Ciclismo Racing out of Fort Collins, CO, stayed with us this past weekend on their way to Minneapolis for the Nature Valley Grand Prix. Great bunch. Oh to be 20-something again! Also got a chance to catch up on the phone with my friend and former Team Kaos stud Matt Landen. Matt moved to the LA area this winter and is tearing it up for Team Liquid. He was recently pictured in a Rudy Project ad attacking Levi Leipheimer on a climb at the Tour of the Gila. Awesome photo Matt!
Tomorrow I'm going to finish building up my bike for the trip with my friend and Team Kaos mate Bryan Redemske. For any biker types reading I'll be riding a Merlin Magia with Campy Chorus 11 spd. Will work out the mechanical kinks in the next two weeks and get the rig dialed in before we head for Green Bay on the 26th. I'm scared and nervous but honestly, I can't wait to get to France and get this show on the road. Time to go beg Julie for a leg massage! Peace.....

No comments:

Post a Comment